Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Waiting on a little one...

My son is about to be 30 years old.  There are many birthday milestones in your child's life that really touch your heart as a mom.  Some being their first birthday, the 5th, 13th, 16th, 18th, 21st.  At each one of these your child moves to another phase in their life.  No longer an infant, first grade, teenager, driver's license, graduation, adulthood.  But 30!  It just doesn't seem like that is possible.

June 10 was the date he was due, but he had other ideas.  So, May 25 is his birthday.  Ten days from today.  I want to share a little about the time I was waiting for him and then a little about my son and I will do that over the next few blogs.

We were married for nine years before he was born.  It was our choice to wait, we enjoyed the time as a couple, but there came that time when we decided we both wanted a child.  The day I went to the doctor to confirm what I already knew I called my husband and asked him to meet me for lunch.  Now, I worked about 30 miles from him but could not wait until that night.  It was great!  He didn't even know I had gone to the doctor!  I will never forget his reaction.  I was blessed with a pretty normal pregnancy.  I had the sickness - at night.  I had a great job and worked everyday.  Of course the backaches and the kicks and heartburn were there - but I loved them.  Every symptom meant I was carrying my new son or daughter (I never had a test to tell me which it was).  Everyone had their own guesses and that was fun.

Decorating the nursery was a joy!  I had so many beautiful things thanks to lots of family and friends who were just as excited as we were.  The room was done in Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit and friends.  My favorite being Jemimah Puddleduck.  I had all the little clothes, blankets, bedding all washed and folded and waiting.  It was an amazing time in my life.  It is funny how things like a song can take you right back to a time in your life.  To this day when I hear "Thank God for Kids" or "Danny's Song" I think about my pregnancy and how much I loved that little one I was carrying.  

By late May I knew I would never make it to June 10.  I kept telling my husband and my mom this baby is coming sooner than they think!  I had the bursts of energy.  I worked in the yard, I pulled weeds, I cooked and cleaned and worked every day.  The night of May 24 it was different and deep down I felt it would be just a short time before we met our little one...

...to be continued.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment