Saturday, May 11, 2013

Honor Thy Mother

Mother's Day is tomorrow.  What other day brings forth so many emotions?  It is a day set aside to honor you mother.

Scripture says Honor Thy Mother everyday.  Not everyone gets that.  I am blessed to have my mother and mother-in-law still in my life.  I hope that I honor them as they deserve.  I have a son that loves me and a daughter by marriage!  They are joys in my life.

Many women in my life have been like a mother to me.  From my first Sunday School teachers who read stories of Jesus and his disciples and taught us to love one another, to my school teachers.  My first, third and fifth grade teachers were wonderful women who I remember with fondness so many years later.  During my fifth grade year we moved to a new town and new home and it made me sad to leave the teacher I loved.

In our new community I met the girls who would be my life long friends.  We had so much fun together, having grand sleepovers, watching movies, riding our bicycles, sharing meals at each others house.  I came to love their moms - the ladies who drove us around, planned our parties, made our snacks, worked in the gardens and cooked fabulous home grown vegetables.  We knew if our own mom wasn't around, there was always a mom close by.  I hope they feel the same about my mom.

After I became a mom and my son has his own friends I was blessed to be one of the moms I just described.  There was always a time that little boys were running in and out of my house!   I was one of the neighborhood moms and it was great.  Then I was a school mom, a team mom, a Sunday school mom, a Care Group Mom.  It was wonderful.

Along the way I had women in my life that continued to be moms to me.. high school teachers, women I worked with, ladies from our church that were blessings in my life.  They mentored me, taught me, prayed for me, strengthened me and loved me.  They were the best moms!

Here's the thing though.  Looking back on all these women in my life, some were not blessed with children of their own.  They were not called mom, mama, mother.  Some of the teachers I had were single, some of the ladies in church did not have children, some had lost children.  I realize it didn't matter.  These women had love to give, wisdom to share, lessons to teach if anyone would listen.  These women were moms to so many.

So today I am wishing all the ladies in my life "Happy Mother's Day".  The ones with children, the ones who never had children, the ones who lost children, the ones who still hope for that child...You are all important, you are all loved, you are all treasures. If you have such women in your life be thankful, take a moment to remember them.  I will do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment