Friday, May 17, 2013

Waiting for a little one, Pt. 2

It has always been funny to me that sometimes I cannot remember why I walked into a room and what I was doing, yet things from so long ago seem as fresh in my memory as the day it happened.

May 24, 1983 I worked all day, it was a Tuesday.  I drove home from work finished up some yard work - just pulled a few weeds while sitting on the ground.  Couldn't muster up more than that since I was very pregnant.  My husband drove up from his job and asked me what in the world I was doing.  Seemed pretty obvious to me.  So at his rather strong suggestion I went inside.  For dinner I cooked spaghetti, salad and rolls.  Later that night I made chocolate chip cookies.  

Our washer and dryer was on the basement level of our house and we also had a den down there, which we had finished ourselves and if I do say so looked pretty good.  While I waddled up and down the steps washing towels and such, my husband sat in the floor of that den surrounded by change and sorting out the quarters for all the names on our list who wanted to be called the minute we had news.  Remember this was thirty years ago - no cell phones to be had.  So every call would be from a pay phone and he wanted to make sure he had plenty of ammunition.

The moon was almost full.  It would be completely full on May 26.  While standing in front of the washer putting in yet another load, there it was.  My water broke.  I calmly walked around the corner to tell my husband and he said, "does this mean we are going to the hospital?"  To which I said, "nah, I haven't even had a pain!"  Idiot.  About an hour went by and nothing had happened but he was panicky so I called the doctor's service and he called me right back.  I told him what had happened and he told me I needed to go to the hospital.  My response was "Now?"  He said, "Yes, now."  Again, idiot.  Well, this was my first time having a baby, so what did I know?

I changed into a clean shirt and jeans.  We got my bag which was packed and ready to go.  We got our little item that was to be my focus point during labor.  We closed the door to our house and buckled up in our Nissan 200SX and drove to Northside Hospital which was about a forty five minute drive, normally.  I don't think it took him that long.  It was about 11 pm. and I remember what a clear and beautiful night it was. I was calm, still had not even had a twinge. I know we talked on that ride, but could not tell you anything we said because in truth I was a million miles away.  The thought that was going through my mind was things will never be the same again!

To be continued...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment