Monday, March 12, 2012

Paint those Stairs!


After what seems like an endless time, we have come to the end of a remodel in our basement.  The final step was...well, the steps.  We have laminate flooring in the rooms but that would not work on our stairs, and I am not a fan of carpet.  So I decided to paint the stairs.


 I did not want them to be one solid color, so I measured from the trim in 3" and marked each step.  I then taped of the treads and risers.  I painted up to the tape with my first color.  Let that dry and do a second coat.  After that coat has thoroughly dried, remove your tape. 


 For the second color, I tape the edge of my first color so as not to mess that up! After the tape was covering each step I began my second color.  Do that just as you did the first.  Let it dry, second coat and let it dry.

The photo above shows the second color going on the steps.  Below is my finished stairs.  To insure your paint stays fresh and does not wear be sure to coat your steps in a polyurethane coating made for floors.  You can use a satin, semi-gloss or gloss finish. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment