Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Late Summer


Late summer.

It brings to mind so many possibilities and promises. The first of which is Autumn.  I know it is still August, believe me I do.  But we have been experiencing unseasonably cool weather the past week or so and well, it just makes me want autumn even more.  I tell myself don't look at the fall clothes yet, don't start thinking about soups and warm bread, and for heaven's sake don't get out the apple pie scented candles.

If I didn't know better I would think autumn is messing with us!  Last Friday night we actually lit a fire in our outdoor fireplace.  We had soup and grilled sandwiches for dinner which we ate on the porch, then made ourselves cozy by the fire and watched baseball.  Fire, baseball.  Autumn, summer.  Contradictions!  And Saturday was just the same.  Windy, cool and rainy.  Perfect autumn day, only it is not autumn!

This week has been a little warmer, but still below normal.  Not only that, but we have had buckets of rain.  With all that said, there lies the dilemma.  Should I dream of an early fall and leave summer behind or do I face the reality that it won't last and we will see another "hot spell" before summer actually bids us adieu?

Now some people might question why all this matters.  Well, I will tell you.  I LOVE autumn.  Plain and simple.  It is without a doubt my favorite season.  It is the season that brings out the jeans and long sleeves, crisp apples - you know the kind.  Fresh picked, when you bite into it the juice runs down your hand apple.  Yard work becomes more fun because there is a nip in the air and a bite of chill on your face instead of sweat. 

The pool in my yard sits empty today because all the chilly nights and rainy days have made the water too cold for me.  The floats look forlorn and lonely.  But they steadfastly hang in there because it is still summer and they know it.  They seem to smile a sly smile when I walk past. Sounds silly but I think they do. They know they are getting the last laugh because it will get hot again, it is Georgia and it is August.  Summer will not go quietly and I suppose it shouldn't have to.

We will have a few  more cookouts by the pool and savor those days when floating is the thing to do.  For now I will enjoy each day as it comes, and if it happens to be cool and a little windy so much the better.  When the calendar finally turns and September strolls in then it will truly be the beginning of my favorite season and I can exhale, say hello to autumn and goodbye to late summer.








No comments:

Post a Comment