Thursday, August 14, 2014

For those without a voice...

It is not often I feel the need to spill my heart.  Like any other person who walks this earth, I have things that I believe in, things that I know to be right and wrong.  While I do share some of that on social media, it has never been my intention to force my beliefs or feelings on others.

This however is MY blog.  I can write what I want, and hopefully touch a heart while doing it.

Let me begin with this...

If you got up this morning and washed your hair, showered, brushed your teeth, sprayed on perfume, used deodorant, put on make up, styled your hair and perhaps washed a load of clothes you most likely contributed to the pain and suffering of animals housed in labs across this country.  Sadly most of these "experiments" are not required by law.  Cosmetic and household cleaning testing is done on innocent animals by the big name companies.  You know the ones because they are on every shelf of every grocery store and department store.

If you want long lush lashes then remember a rabbit or dog (yes a dog) had unspeakable things done to their eyes before you bought the mascara.  Your toothpaste was cause for pain to an animal.

Then there are the household cleaners.  Would you believe toxic chemicals are pumped into dogs to test the levels.  Dogs are forced to sit with masks on their faces and inhale fumes from oven cleaners until they pass out and often die.  Things you think are safe like baking soda..not so.  Arm and Hammer is one of the worse offenders in animal testing.  All the counter cosmetics at the Department stores are tested on animals.  Why would they do that?

Proctor and Gamble, Estee Lauder, Loreal, Clairol, Maybelline, Johnson&Johnson, Tide, Clorox, Cover Girl, Oil of Olay and on and on.

For years I was unaware of these things.  I did not know that right now over 70,000 BEAGLES are used in labs for this type of testing. Beagles! Unnecessary testing.  When I did learn these statistics I vowed to do something about it.

I now shop cruelty free for all my cosmetics, household cleaners, laundry detergent and hair care.  It is easier than you might think.  There are apps for your phone that will direct you as you shop.  One is www.leapingbunny.org  another is through the Beagle Freedom Project which works to free dogs from labs and find them forever homes.  It is cruelty-cutter.org.  Right now I think it is only available for iphones.  There are endless links to websites that offer information on shopping cruelty free.  You just have to care enough to look.

Some of the brands I have discovered and love are easily available at the grocery store and Target.  Seventh Generation, Method, Mrs. Meyers, Watkins are all wonderful household cleaners.  For hair care there is Pureology, Paul Mitchell, Aveda and Deep Steep.  Cosmetics try E.L.F. (Target and TJMaxx and let me say not expensive and a great line).  Burts Bees, Jason, Kiss My Face, NYX Cosmetics, Caswell Massey, Butter nail polish...on and on.  Pinterest is another great source for finding cruelty free products.

I have emailed several companies with my feelings.  I will not allow my dollars to profit the companies that needlessly torture animals - especially dogs.  Puppies are sold to labs.  Some, thanks to the hard work and dedication of people trying to put a stop to this are freed.  Others never know life outside of a cage.  http://beaglefreedomproject.org/  Check out this site for inspirational stories of their rescues and photos of the dogs they have saved.

Let me close by saying this.  One person can make a difference. I will not give up spreading the word.  I will speak for those who cannot speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment