Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday Afternoon and Nowhere to be...

It truly feels like autumn today.  

I went to the front porch with my book and iced tea in hand and after just a few pages the sun had no trouble coaxing me into a nap.  As I fell asleep I could hear the trees blowing in the wind and know that there was a leaf shower going on just outside the porch rail.  I slept for quite awhile and when I woke it was decidedly cooler than when I fell asleep!

Feeling refreshed from my nap I went back to reading, which by the way is a wonderful historical novel set during the Civil War entitled "My Name is Mary Sutter" by Robin Oliveira robinoliveira.com .  There is really nothing that compares to book in hand on a quiet afternoon.  I think I would like to own a "pad" or "tablet" but not for reading.  I love to pick up a book, read a page and then turn to a new one.  When I am finished I can return that book to my shelves or trade with a friend for one I have yet to enjoy.

Being Saturday, and being Southern we turn our attention to football as the afternoon progresses.  We are building a fire in our newly built fireplace on the back porch, we are watching the college games by the fire and channel surfing for updates and action.  I am cooking a pork roast on the grill with green beans and potatoes for dinner and for dessert a German Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Bar!  Courtesy of Southern Living - September 2012- page 132.southernliving.com  The bourbon is an option, but really?  I see no other option.  Like I
have said before - we are Southern.




I really believe we have seen the last of the hot afternoons and can settle down and enjoy the fall and all she has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment