Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Preserving Memories

How many times have you said "I wish I had done that" or "That would have been great to keep"?  Me too.  We all have.
  
So, I want to give you an idea for a memory keeper that I actually did.  When we took our son to the beach for the first time he was 11 months old.  We took a day trip to Shell Island and when he was playing on the beach there were beautiful shells all around.  Each time he picked one up I kept it.  When we returned home from our trip I purchased an inexpensive shadow box frame and lined the back with a linen fabric.  Then I hot glued all his shells onto that back and closed the box.  That was 28 years ago and it is still on display.  It is hanging above a shelf in my guest bath. 

Whenever I stop and look at it the memories of that trip always return.  I can see him on the beach and think of the fun we had.

Think of all the different ways to make a memory box.  Shells are not the only thing you can place in there.  Use tickets from their first trip to the circus along with the program or souvenir you bought.  Rocks they picked up when you went camping for the first time.  On and on.  You could add a photo of that day in the box along with the items you frame.  The possibilities are endless.  If you are like me even after the "first" has past you have kept some of these things and you can go back and make your memory box.  I am so glad I did this one.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment